The promotion of our national games has a proud tradition in our school. As part of the PE curriculum children from Junior Infants to 6th Class experience and actively engage in gaelic football, hurling and camogie. On a competitive level, boys and girls participate in the Sciath Na Scol football, hurling and camogie competitions every year.
We retain very close relationships with our local GAA clubs – Enniskeane Camogie along with St. Mary’s and Diarmuid O’Mathunas (and their combined or amalgamated underage team Ahan Gaels). We’re particularly grateful to St. Mary’s who very kindly organise coaching for all our classes throughout the school year with fantastic coaches Tadg Sheehan and Daniel Cronin visiting regularly.
Ulick O’Beirne of Training Wheels (www.training-wheels.org) completes cycle skills training courses with our pupils each year; Balance Bike courses (for children aged 4 to 7) and Sprocket Rocket courses (focused on children aged 7 to 12).
Balance Bike is focused more on building confidence and balance skills on the bike, and having a fun and positive early experience on bikes.
Sprocket Rocket is Cycling Ireland’s fun skills cycling programme aimed at 7 to 11 year olds. The Sprocket Rocket Programme presents young riders with the opportunity to learn fundamental cycling skills that cater for their size, physical development and interest.
The programme is aimed at:
- Teaching children the four FUNdamental cycling skills of Balance, Pedalling, Braking and Cornering.
- Providing a strong cycling skill foundation for young riders.
- Skill development, including general cycling skills which will lay the foundation for more advanced learning of specific cycling skills in the future.
- Fostering enjoyment and “want” of participation.
- Teaching rider’s fair-play and rules at their level, rather than promoting a win at all cost attitude.
All courses are delivered by Cycling Ireland certified and Garda Vetted instructors.